Walking two dogs can be a difficult task, especially if there are many distractions going on around you.
One dog might pull you more than the other, especially if there are lots of cars, humans, and other dogs nearby.
The last thing you want is your dogs pulling you in different directions or making dog walking so difficult for you and making you dread walking your dogs in general.
Don't worry, though; dog walking can be made easy through the help of a two dog leash, otherwise known as a double dog leash.
What is a double dog leash?
A double dog leash is two leashes combined into one, making it easy for you to manage two dogs when walking. They work because they evenly distribute the pressure to the front of your dog's collar and chest.
Some double dog leashes have a coupler that joins the leashes together and others contain a swivel device that attaches two different leashes. Finally, a double dog leash is important to have while walking as it stops leashes from becoming tangled, making your dog walking experience a lot more pleasant.
Wigzi Dual Doggie Gel Rope Dog Leash
- An ergonomic handle that contains gel stopping your hand from getting tired during long walks
- Built-in coupler which stops leashes from tangling
- Reflective rope, allowing vehicles and other humans to see your dog in the nighttime
- 4.5-foot rope
- Users report it's not that durable
- Not good for puppies
Pet for Life Dual Dog Leash
It is made of nylon and has a bungee built into the leash to stop your dog's neck from becoming strained and reducing the risk of shock when walking.
- Has stainless steel double ringed swivel to stop your leashes from tangling
- Convertible leash to allow you to stay in control when walking
- Made out of nylon, and is weather-resistant, allowing you to walk your dogs at any time
- Comes with a collapsable water drinking bowl
- Only one size is available and only made for adult breeds
- Long-range makes the leash great for hiking but difficult if shorter distances are needed for daily walks
Wigzi Dual Doggie Retractable Dog Leash
Many users who use this double dog leash love the built-in untangling mechanism that you hold in your hand; all it takes is a click of the break to stop your dog from getting tangled up.
- Color-coded brake mechanisms allow you to easily press and control your dogs when walking
- Leads are different colors for each dog, one orange and one green. Allowing you to see your dogs easily during the night
- It comes with a comfortable handle you can hold on to
- Only has 10 feet of distance for each dog, so not ideal for hikes or long walks
- Some users complain it's not strong enough to control heavy dogs
- Pricier than others
Caldwell's Original dog Leash Coupler
It's also adjustable, allowing you to adjust it to between 11-20 inches.
- It’s affordable and on the lower price range
- Highly durable containing industrial polyester webbing that has been tested on two dogs
- It’s water repellant and mildew resistant
- Length of the leash only reaches 2 feet, not great if you’re planning on longer walks
- Not made for puppies or small breeds
- Heavy metal and can weigh down your dog
Max and Neo Gear Nylon Reflective Double Dog Leash
The leash is 6 feet long and can come in different colors.
- You can attach accessories to it
- Has reflective stitching allowing you to see your dogs leash in the dark
- Has a 6 foot long leash
- The clasp is difficult to open
- Too heavy for small dogs
- It’s only the stitching that is reflective, the rest of the leash is not
How to use a double leash?
Most double-ended dog leads have rings known as a coupler attached; if both dogs walk well, you can practice using the double leash together. However, if you find one dog is more difficult than the other, you can attach one dog to your body or waist and the other to the leash and hold it to allow you to practice walking first. You might want to take your dogs on short walks to practice using the double leash first before taking them out in a busy place or on long walks.
DogsPlanet.com is one of the main websites for dog owners, future owners and dog lovers. Our team of authors seeks to answer the questions that you frequently ask yourselves.