Dog poisoning: how to react?

dog poisoning

Even if you are as careful as possible, the risk of your dog being poisoned or intoxicated will always exist.

Some toxic products are very dangerous for your pet and it is important not to leave them around. To avoid poisoning, we advise you to be aware of the most dangerous products for your four-legged friend and how to react when your dog is poisoned.

It is also important to know how to detect the symptoms of dog poisoning so that you can react quickly.

Has your dog eaten rat poison or is he suffering from food poisoning?

Find all the information and our advice in this article.

Causes of dog poisoning

Dog poisoning is the deliberate or accidental ingestion of toxic products that can endanger the health of your pet.

Here are the most common causes of dog poisoning:

Dog poisoning with rat poison

Rat poison is an anti-coagulant that can cause a lot of damage to the dog, especially if it is not detected in time because of its delayed effect. This product causes bleeding that does not stop. Rat poison is a product that arouses your pet's curiosity because of its sweet taste, so avoid putting it within your dog's reach.

If you suspect your dog has ingested rat poison, go to your veterinarian immediately, even before symptoms appear. There is an antidote for this poisoning, vitamin K.

Dog poisoning with insecticide

Less toxic than rat poison, this is still dangerous for your dog, especially if ingested in large quantities. In fact, depending on the product and the quantities swallowed, the poisoned dog can have irreversible effects.

Dog poisoning with chemicals

These are usually cleaning products, such as bleach or detergents. They are very dangerous products that cause dog poisoning. It is therefore important to store them away from reach. Moreover, some products such as caustic acid or hydrochloric acid also cause dog poisoning.

Food poisoning

The best known toxic food for dogs is chocolate. Indeed, 100 g of chocolate can be toxic for a medium-sized dog. However, there are other products that are edible for humans but toxic for dogs, here are a few examples:

Onion and garlic and their by-products;


Raisins and pips. A cluster can be fatal for a medium-sized dog.

Human drugs intoxication

It's the most common cause of dog poisoning. This is because medications are often within reach of dogs, especially as they tend to touch and taste everything. In some cases, to relieve the dog's pain, the owner administers medication intended for humans such as Ibuprofen or paracetamol in doses that are not adapted to the dog.

They are toxic to dogs and can cause acute liver or kidney failure, ulcers and other disorders that can lead to death.

It is therefore important to keep these drugs out of your dog's reach.

Dog poisoning with plants

Several plants can cause dog poisoning. The degree of severity of plant poisoning varies from digestive disorders to death by cardiac risk.

Among the plants that are toxic to dogs, you have tulips, hyacinths, arum and aloe. Getting to know poisonous plants and removing them from your garden is essential.

What are the symptoms of dog poisoning?

It is important to know that rapid management of poisoning in dogs can, in some cases, avoid irreversible effects. In the case of dog poisoning, the symptoms are sudden and acute. They can vary depending on the product ingested and its quantity.

Here's is a list of symptoms observed in a poisoned dog:

  • Hypersalivation;
  • Bleeding;
  • Loss of appetite;
  • Mucous membranes of abnormal coloring;
  • Swollen stomach;
  • Digestive problems (vomiting, diarrhea, nausea);
  • Bleeding;
  • Convulsions, tremors, loss of balance.

Dog intoxication: how to react?

If you are dealing with a poisoned dog, it is important to react quickly to put all the odds on your side and save the dog from irreversible complications.

As soon as you notice your dog has been poisoned, try to identify the product causing the poisoning and look on the packaging for the antidote. Call the veterinarian immediately to guide you through the process. In the case of poison ingestion, get the dog to vomit. If it's acid, dilute it by getting your dog to drink plenty of water.

If the poisoning is not detected in time, go to the vet without delay. Depending on the symptoms and the product ingested, the veterinarian will perform tests and give your dog medication: antidotes, transfusions, etc. In the case of rat poisoning, for example, a blood transfusion from another dog will be necessary.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *