Can dogs eat garlic?

dog garlic

While garlic may be beneficial as a natural remedy against internal parasites for humans, it can be dangerous or even toxic for pets, especially dogs.

In this article, we will explain the dangers of garlic for dogs, and what to do if your pet has eaten this food.

What are the dangers of garlic for my dog?

Garlic is a dangerous and toxic food for dogs. Whether cooked or raw, it is therefore advisable not to include it in your pet's diet.

Indeed, it is wrongly assumed that garlic is an effective anti-parasitic for dogs. Giving it to your pet can be ineffective or even dangerous. Indeed, in dogs, the effective quantity needed as dewormer is higher than the toxic dose.

The perfect fridge magnet for you and your dog
dogsplanet magnet food dogs can cant eat

While you’re cooking, suddenly, your dog looks at you. You want to give them a little treat but wonder if they can eat the food you are holding in your hand.

With our vet-approved magnet, you’ll know the answer at a glance! Plus, you can quickly scan our QR code to access the full article with all the explanations.

Garlic belongs to the Allium genus, which also includes onions. This genus contains a substance called sodium thiosulphate, which can cause anemia by destroying red blood cells in dogs.

In addition, some dogs are allergic to garlic, which makes the situation even worse.

How much garlic is dangerous for my dog?

Although it has benefits for the immune system, the dangers of this food are very high. A dose equivalent to 0.5% of your dog's weight can be toxic. In other words, if he weighs 10 kg, 50 grams of garlic can cause intoxication.

It is important to point out that intoxication can be even more dangerous if this amount is given over several days.

Symptoms of garlic poisoning in dogs

Symptoms of garlic poisoning in your dog usually begin on the 1st or 2nd day after ingestion.

Initially, it manifests itself with digestive problems such as vomiting, diarrhea and anorexia. The clinical signs then evolve into fatigue, paleness of the mucous membranes, jaundice and dark coloration of urine. Sulphur compounds in garlic cause anemia by destruction of red blood cells, which can be fatal if not treated on time.

In general, garlic poisoning in dogs is not fatal if the amount ingested is not too big and if treatment is rapid. It is therefore advisable to exclude garlic from your dog's food because the risks outweigh the benefits and the body takes a long time to eliminate the toxins.

What if my dog ate garlic?

If your dog has ingested garlic, be sure to observe his behaviour during the next two to three hours. Garlic poisoning is not an emergency like chocolate poisoning, but it's best to be careful.

If symptoms appear after a few hours, we advise you to make an appointment with the vet. The vet will do a diagnosis and possibly detect, in addition to intoxication, a garlic allergy in your dog.

In the case of severe intoxication, for example after ingestion of large quantities, a blood transfusion may be necessary at the veterinarian's office when the anemia is severe. Symptomatic treatment will also be prescribed and several days of convalescence may be necessary for your dog to recover.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *