COVID-19 has taught us, dog lovers, that we should be making the most of our time at home, whether that's working from home, socializing, or just unwinding.
As the weather gets warmer, you might want to relax in the outdoors a bit more. You know that comfy feeling of a sun lounger, where you lie back on?
Just like that comfortable feeling, you can make your dog comfortable alongside you with an outdoor dog bed.
What is an outdoor dog bed?
An outdoor dog bed is exactly what it says; it's a dog bed made for the outdoors! Unlike your dog's current bed, these types of beds are more durable towards certain weathers and more comfortable also.
While you’re cooking, suddenly, your dog looks at you. You want to give them a little treat but wonder if they can eat the food you are holding in your hand.
With our vet-approved magnet, you’ll know the answer at a glance! Plus, you can quickly scan our QR code to access the full article with all the explanations.
Depending on the type of country you live in, some outdoor dog beds are designed to keep your dog cool and some allow air circulation to happen underneath your dog when raised. Most of these beds are easy to wash and extremely comfortable for your dog!
What to look for when buying an outdoor dog bed?
If you're looking for an outdoor dog bed for your canine, you should think about the following before buying:
When you're looking to buy a bed for your dog for the outdoors, size should be one of the first things you think about. After all, what's the point of buying an outdoor pet bed that does not fit your dog properly?
To do this, you should measure your dog's size to get an idea to know which bed is right for them. Make sure when measuring your dog's size, you leave enough room for a slightly bigger bed in case they're still in the growing phase.
In today's world, you never can completely guarantee what you're getting when buying a dog bed. While there are some reputable manufacturers, sometimes spare parts go missing, outdoor beds go faulty, or just slowly wear away over time.
To be safe, you will want to make sure you buy an outdoor dog bed with a warranty over one that does not. If you purchase a bed, it will give you comfort and reassurance over beds that don't have that.
Easy to clean
Dogs are our babies, and they love to get muddy and messy. Plus, when they sleep on an outdoor bed, they can easily shed hair and dander onto them. To make sure the outdoor bed is hygienic and safe, you will want to have one that's easy to clean.
Either you should pick an outdoor bed that can be easily wiped clean or one that can be put in the washing machine. If you don't do this, you will likely be buying new outdoor dog beds frequently.
Type of bed
There's more than one type of outdoor dog bed. Before buying for your dog, you should think about the purpose of the bed. For example, are you wanting one for traveling?
If so, you will want a portable dog bed. Do you want one that is waterproof? Then you will want to look for certain materials. Think about why your dog needs one, and then pick accordingly.
Unlike indoor dog beds, you will want to pick an outdoor dog bed that is weather resistant. Whether you live in a hot, cold, windy, or tropical climate, you should pick materials that can stand the different types of weather.
To help you on your search for outdoor dog beds, here are some of the top ones for 2021:
FRISCO Steel Framed Elevated Dog Bed
The bed also has a tight breathable fabric which makes it comfortable and keeps your dog upright even after they've sat on it for some time. Its powder-coated steel frame makes it durable, easy to clean, and strong to support many various sizes of dogs.
At the bottom of the PVC frame is skid resistant feet. This means that no matter what outdoor terrain you place the bed on, it won't slip. It can be even used indoors! Similarly, its raised structure allows for better circulation underneath the bed, allowing your dog to stay cool in hot temperatures.
- Easy to assemble
- Skid resistant due to the feet it's made from
- Available for all sizes of dog
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Made of steel
- Some users complain that the fabric rips easily
- Users complained it sometimes smells bad, putting dogs off from sitting on it
K&H Pet Products Elevated Dog Bed
It's also great if you live in a rainy country or planning to use it by a lake or pool. The bed is waterproof, and its outer fabric is made from 600 denier nylon with double stitching and double backing. This makes it strong and can support a dog that weighs up to 150lbs.
It's also highly portable as the bed can be quickly reassembled and disassembled. Making it perfect if you're going on vacation. Similar to the FRISCO bed, it also has non skid feet allowing you to put the bed on any terrain without the risk of sliding.
- Strength tested for heavy dogs
- It's raised, allowing for better airflow and movement
- The mesh fabric enhances airflow and makes it breathable for dogs
- Quick assemble and reassemble
- Users complain it sags easily
- It has velcro attachments making the fabric difficult to stay on after some time
Coolaroo dog bed
Alongside it has a breathable fabric; it's also resistant to mites, mildew, mold, and fleas. The fabric is also strategically constructed to eliminate any pressure from areas of your dog's body. The fabric is easy to clean; it's also 100% recyclable, free from lead, and phthalate-free. Also, the steel frame is powder-coated, making it easy for indoor and outdoor use.
- Made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE), which stops the bed from overheating
- The high elevated design is low impact causing less stress to a dog's joints
- It's easy to wash and resistant against fleas, mold, and mildew
- Material can be easily chewed
- Users complain fabric does not fit the frame
Furhaven Deluxe Orthopaedic Indoor/Outdoor
It's also great for older dogs as it has orthopedic support due to its egg-crate foam core. This material helps remove pressure from their muscles and joints.
- It has a water-resistant base, protects against moisture
- Portable, it's good for indoors and outdoors
- Its foam material makes it comfortable for elderly or ill dogs
- Users complain dogs can easily chew through the material
- The bed isn't thick enough for some dogs
K&H Pet Products Original Indoor/Outdoor Covered Elevated Dog Bed
- Easy to clean and resistant to mold, mildew, and water
- Does not need tools to assemble
- Has mesh entrance and windows for air circulation
- It's not durable against the wind
- Poles aren't that sturdy
K&H Pet Products Original Bolster Elevated Dog Bed
The bed is raised and has a mesh center which allows for easy air circulation keeping your dog cool. Plus, it's easy to reassemble and disassemble without any tools, meaning it's portable.
- Waterproof and easy to clean
- It has a bolster allowing dogs to rest their heads
- Users complain it twists a lot when being moved and that it's not durable
Alex Wrigley is a professional writer and blogger who loves travel, technology and dogs. She is originally from the UK but currently lives in Nepal with her three dogs: two pugs and a golden retriever.