Can dogs drink coconut water?
Coconut water is a refreshing, healthy drink that almost everyone enjoys. It's delicious on its own, but it's also fantastic in smoothies and homemade ice cubes. During summer, this highly nutritious water helps to rehydrate the body with its huge electrolyte content . As a great source of electrolytes and other minerals, coconut water is highly beneficial for humans, but can dogs drink coconut water?
Absolutely, yes. Coconut water is completely safe for dogs to drink and may be an excellent supplement in its diet. This article will cover the health benefits of drinking coconut water for dogs with the amount and many more.
Can dogs have coconut water?
Yes, dogs can drink a moderate amount of coconut water. Experts say dogs really enjoy this healthy treat because of its slightly sweet taste. They can easily eat all parts of the coconut from water to pulp. This water is an excellent snack for dogs that contains a bunch of minerals and vitamins.
You are cooking when, suddenly, your dog looks at you. You want to give him a little treat but you wonder if he can eat the food you are holding in your hand.
With our vet-approved magnet, you’ll know the answer at a glance! Plus, you can quickly scan our QR code to access the full article with all the explanations.
Health benefits of coconut water for dogs
Drinking coconut water can help your dogs in various ways. Here, we've listed some most important ones:
- Electrolytes: As a source of natural electrolytes, coconut water helps to maintain the water balance and assists in the control of muscle and nerve function, transporting oxygen, etc.
- Minerals and vitamins: Coconut water from green coconuts contains a huge amount of medium-chain triglycerides, nutrients like potassium, sodium, zinc, magnesium, selenium, iodine, and vitamins like riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, biotin, pantothenic acid, thiamin, and vitamin C which helps in proper body functioning and promotes healthier skin and coats in your dog .
- Natural diuretics: As a natural diuretic, fresh coconut water helps to avoid any kidney stones formation and prevents urinary tract infections in your dog .
- Disease condition: If your dog suffers from parvovirus or any undiagnosed diarrhetic condition, coconut water can be a great source to fulfill the bodily fluid and electrolyte demands of your dog.
- Promotes immune system and prevents allergic reaction: Due to its anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties, coconut water can enhance your dog's immune system. Also, this clear fluid can ease certain allergic reactions, such as itchy skin, flea allergies, etc. 
- Red blood cells formation: Tender coconut water keeps the harmful bacteria away and helps in red blood cells formation. 
How much coconut water should I give to my dog?
If you want to avoid any future problems, always remember to provide an adequate amount of food to your lovely dog. Though coconut water is safe for dogs, that doesn't mean you should provide it excessively. Too much coconut water may cause your dog's stomach upset. Also, excessive eating of coconut meat may lead to weight gain because of its too much fat content . Never provide any whole coconut to your dog. The hard coconut shell may cause choking or injury to your dog.
In case your dog has never experienced coconut meat or water before, you need to introduce these into your dog's diet gradually and observe their response to it. Although, many forms of coconut are now available to give to your dog. These coconut products range from fresh coconut meat, coconut water, coconut pulp, coconut milk, coconut oil, etc. Any of these can be a healthy occasional treat for your furry friend.
How to serve coconut water to dogs?
If your dog loves coconut, you can easily replace their liquid diet with natural coconut water. Though coconut water is a good sport's drink, it is less hydrating when compared to plain water. Dog owners can serve this pure coconut water to their lovely dogs with or without added sugar. Readymade puppy popsicles with many coconut products are now available in many pet stores. A small quantity of coconut water can give a heavenly feeling to your adorable dog after a hot walk on a hot day.
Can dogs drink coconut water instead of water?
No, veterinarians wouldn't recommend this. Coconut water can't be a complete substitute for plain water. As a dog owner, you can easily make homemade coconut water ice cubes by using an ice cube tray or provide a few ounces of coconut water daily to your dog as a healthy treat.
Finally, coconut water is an excellent healthy treat for your dog. Every pet owner should follow the suggestion of their licensed veterinarian regarding their dog’s diet. It's essential to ask veterinarians about the benefits and problems of adding new food to the dog's diet.
DogsPlanet.com is one of the main websites for dog owners, future owners and dog lovers. Our team of authors seeks to answer the questions that you frequently ask yourselves.