Can I give grapes to my dog?

dog grape

Grapes, whether fresh or dried, are sweet fruits that are very appetizing to dogs, and owners are often tempted to give their dog some.

Yet, as few owners know, grapes are fruits that cause frequent poisoning in dogs.

Find out in this article why grapes are dangerous and what to do if your dog gets poisoned.

The dangers of grapes for dogs

To date, the exact mechanism of grape intoxication in dogs and the toxin that causes intoxication is not known.

The perfect fridge magnet for you and your dog
dogsplanet magnet food dogs can cant eat

While you’re cooking, suddenly, your dog looks at you. You want to give them a little treat but wonder if they can eat the food you are holding in your hand.

With our vet-approved magnet, you’ll know the answer at a glance! Plus, you can quickly scan our QR code to access the full article with all the explanations.

All we know is that this fruit, and even more so raisins, causes unpredictable intoxications and affects all dog breeds.

It is also useful to point out that all grape varieties are harmful to dogs, with or without pips.

Moreover, intoxication varies from dog to dog. Indeed, some can consume large quantities without developing an intoxication, while for others, a small quantity can cause symptoms.

What amount of grapes not to exceed for dogs?

Although the toxic dose varies from dog to dog, the scientific literature agrees that above a certain amount, grapes can become toxic.

The maximum amount of fresh grapes that can cause intoxication is about 20 grams per kg of body weight. As an example, a bunch of grapes weighing 500 grams can kill a 10 kg dog.

In the case of raisins, the maximum quantity not to exceed is approximately 3 grams per kg of body weight. Raisins are more poisonous than fresh grapes because only a small quantity is needed to cause poisoning.

In some cases, small amounts cause intoxication in dogs.

Symptoms of grape poisoning

The symptoms of grape poisoning in your dog are usually digestive and renal. The first symptoms will occur within 24 hours after ingestion (on average 6 to 12 hours) and they are:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting with whole grapes in the vomit
  • Stomach aches
  • Nausea
  • Anorexia and refusal to eat

Then, the intoxication evolves for several days in the form of kidney symptoms such as:

  • Polydipsia, the dog drinks a lot of water
  • Decrease in the quantity of urine and then total cessation, one speaks then of oliguria and then anuria
  • Fever
  • Dehydration
  • Acute renal failure
  • Extreme fatigue and weakness

Acute renal failure is usually the most worrying situation and appears 72 hours after ingestion. Without prompt and emergency management, the dog may die.

My dog ingested grapes: what can I do?

The first thing to do when your dog has eaten grapes or shows any of the symptoms described above is to immediately take him to the vet. This is a veterinary emergency. Time is critical and his prognosis depends on how quickly he's taken care of.

You should ideally bring the dog to the vet even before the symptoms appear, i.e. as soon as the grapes are ingested. The specialist will carry out a digestive cleansing by putting your dog on an infusion to protect his kidney functions. A 72-hour surveillance is necessary.

If symptoms have already appeared, treatment is symptomatic because there is no antidote. Treatment consists of anti-vomiting drugs, antacid and gastric bandages to treat digestive symptoms and diuretics, and dialysis in severe cases of acute renal failure.

In summary, it is strongly recommended to not give your dog grapes, even in very small quantities. The prognosis may be grim if kidney symptoms have developed. A quick and immediate management as soon as the grapes are ingested can save your pet.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *