A dog backpack for biking is a great way to make sure your pup can travel with you wherever you go – and however far away it is. There are a few different styles of doggie carriers ranging from flexible rucksacks that your pooch can stick their head out of to baby-type front slings which are ideal for smaller dogs. They all make cycling with your dog a bit more fun and enjoyable. But which are the best?
What to look for in a dog backpack carrier for biking?
Of course, if you’re a keen biker you’ll spend hours researching the best bikes and gadgets. And whilst we’ve done the dog work to find the best doggie backpacks, it’s important you consider a few key features to make sure you’re getting the best for your dog.
- Comfort. Your pup needs to feel safe and comfortable in their backpack, especially if you’re going for a long cycle. Make sure it’s made of breathable material so they don’t get too hot and that it has some sort of cushioned lining (these can often be removed for easy washing). If it’s not a backpack your pup can stick their head out of, some sort of window is a good idea.
- Comfort. Again. But this time for you. Your dog carrier needs to be designed so you can easily carry your four-legged friend without it becoming uncomfortable. Look for wide, padded shoulder straps with extra support. An extra chest strap can also help.
- Material. You can never guarantee what the weather is going to be like. Especially on a cycle ride. So, make sure your backpack is made from waterproof material or has a cover. It should also be made from sturdy material that will endure any bumps along the road with your dog.
- Size/shape. Of course, you need to make sure you get a dog carrier that your pet can easily fit in. But you should also think about which shape is best for your and your dog’s needs. Is your dog elderly or arthritic? Then maybe they need a little more space. Is your pup a nervous dog? Then a window may work better than letting them poke their head out.
- Safety. Making sure your dog can’t escape mid-cycle is really important. Many dog carrier backpacks for biking come with a special tether inside that you can attach to their collar or harness. Getting a good quality one will also ensure the zippers and buckles won’t loosen as you ride so you can keep your pet safe.
The best dog backpack carriers
We’ve come up with a list of 10 of the best dog carriers for bike rides so you can enjoy a nice day out with your pup!
PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack
The mesh windows mean it’s really well ventilated and you can even partially unzip it to let your pup hang its head out. It comes with a safety strap and a collapsable water tray to keep your dog hydrated. This backpack is really designed for a small dog up to 18 pounds.
K9 Sport Sack Dog Carrier
Slightly larger dogs can poke their legs out for extra space. If you’re uncertain which size to get, you can always go for the bigger one and get a booster block that your dog can stand on (which is also a good idea if they’re a puppy and will grow).
It’s made from durable, waterproof material and is extremely comfortable to wear. It has two sides of mesh windows to make sure your pup is comfortable and well ventilated as well as a safety hook to stop anxious pups from trying to escape.
K&H Travel Bike Backpack
This is a versatile backpack that is not only wearable but can be attached to the front of your bike too! Its sturdy structure and design mean there’s no risk of it collapsing on your pup and the high-quality material and finish mean it should last you a long time. It’s well ventilated with mesh panels and can easily be changed from backpack to bicycle basket. It has convenient side pockets for puppy treats and water and a safety line to attach your dog to.
Pawaboo Pet Carrier Backpack
The shoulder straps have no extra padding, though, but you may not need it as this backpack is really designed for pups that weigh less than 15 pounds.
YUDODO Dog Sling Carrier
There’s also a safety clasp to attach your pup’s leash to and it’s trimmed with a reflective material to help others see you in the dark. You can choose from 9 different colors and all have a sturdy, well-padded shoulder strap. This carrier is really designed for toy breeds and small pups such as Chihuahuas.
Pecute Pet Carrier Backpack
The zippable mesh windows can also be opened to let your pup poke its head out whilst you’re cycling along. The shoulder straps are adjustable so you can evenly distribute the weight which makes it comfortable for you too.
Lukovee Pet Sling
It comes in 5 different colors and there’s a waterproof black version too. You can adjust the top opening so your dog can watch where you’re both going but won’t be able to wriggle free. This is a really good, comfortable dog backpack for little pups.
Morpilot Dog Backpack Carrier
It has an easy top handle to help you get the backpack on and adjustable shoulder straps. It also has a sternum and waist strap to make carrying your dog effortless and comfortable.
Outward Hound PoochPouch
It’s made from waterproof nylon, so even if you get caught in the rain, your pup should be pretty happy. There’s a safety strap that you can attach to your dog’s harness and plenty of side pockets to store snacks and toys for them too!
Petsfit Comfort Dog Carrier
It’s designed to fit snuggly to your body with both a waist and sternum strap to minimize bouncing and discomfort as your cycle. It’s made with self-locking zippers so you know your pup is safe as you travel.
Have you got a dog backpack carrier for biking? If not, which one on the list would you choose for your doggo?
I’m Charlotte, a content and copywriter from the North of England and currently living in Berlin. Animals have always been a huge part of my life, so writing about dogs is a total pleasure! I love all kinds of dogs and their cheeky personalities, but I’d have to say Weimaraners are my favourite!