DogsPlanet » Nutrition » Can I give tomatoes to my dog?

Can I give tomatoes to my dog?

Author: The DogsPlanet.com Team

Tomatoes are one of the foods most consumed by humans. Its refreshing quality, low calorie content and taste have a lot to do with it.

That’s why it’s tempting to share this food with our four-legged friend. Can you give tomatoes to your dog? Are tomatoes poisonous?

Read more in this article.

Tomatoes for my dog: is this a good idea?

The tomato is a fruit that belongs to the solanaceae family, which contains several varieties of plants such as eggplant, potato, pepper and even tobacco. Some plants of this family, including belladonna, are known to be toxic.

The tomato is a member of the solanaceae family and has in common with belladonna, the presence of a harmful substance, solanine, which is an alkaloid that is toxic to dogs. Solanine is more present in the stem, leaves and unripe green fruit. When ripe, solanine is less present. In other words, ripe tomatoes are not dangerous for dogs.

Green tomatoes contain another substance that is harmful and toxic to dogs, which is tomatine.

So, is tomato toxic to dogs?

Ripened tomatoes are safe for dogs. On the contrary, it is a nutritious food, rich in water, vitamins and minerals and low in calories. However, green tomatoes and the rest of the plant (leaves, stem) contain solanine that can poison your dog.

In short, a seedless ripe red tomato is safe if offered occasionally to your dog.

What about tomato sauce?

If it is a homemade tomato sauce, without garlic and onions, you can give it to your dog. However, a commercial tomato sauce should be avoided as it contains additives, preservatives that can be harmful to your pet.

It is recommended that you prepare the sauce yourself to give your dog the benefits of this food.

Symptoms of tomato poisoning in dogs

Tomato poisoning in dogs comes from the ingestion of green tomatoes, the leaf or stem of the plant. Even a low dose of solanine, a toxic alkaloid present in the plant, can cause symptoms of poisoning. A dose of 2 to 5 mg per kg of body weight can be toxic.

Symptoms appear 2 to 3 hours after ingestion and are:

  • Digestive: diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain;
  • Coordination disorders, muscle weakness, fatigue;
  • Hypersalivation;
  • Increased heart rate and difficulty breathing;
  • Convulsions,
  • Dilated pupils.

My dog ate tomatoes, what should I do?

If your dog has ingested ripe tomatoes, no worries, there should be no problem. However, monitor his behavior and possible symptoms in the hours following ingestion.

In the case where the dog has ingested a large quantity of green tomatoes or another part of the plant, or the appearance of the symptoms mentioned above, it is recommended to take him to the veterinarian for a consultation and establish a symptomatic treatment.

Do not take any initiative as this could make the situation worse.

0 comments

Related posts

Leave a comment