Also, according to the American Kennel Club, they can also be trained to be Goose masters. This means keeping geese off a property by scaring them away.
Other than their hardworking personality, the Border Collie also has a loving nature. Even though they have an energetic personality, they are sweet dogs with little aggressive intent, and they love a good cuddle.
Which makes Border Collies the perfect addition to any home. If you are considering getting Border Collie, it may be worthwhile looking at the top names for it.
After all, you will want the best border collie names for the best breed.
The Top Border Collie Names
While there is a range of Names out there, we’ve gathered a list of the most popular ones :
Border Collie names with meaning
In addition to this list, there are also some Border Collie names out there with extra meanings. They are the following:
- Andrew: This is an English name which means manly.
- Fiona: A Scottish name often used for female Border Collies, which means white or fair.
- Victor: An English name meaning conqueror
- George: This Border Collie name descends from the Roman era and means farmer.
- Sheppie: A name also short for shepherd, which is often used for females, as they herd animals.
- Bunny: This name comes from England and can mean cute.
- Stuart: A name which means house guard in English.
There are even gender-neutral Border collie names, which are:
- Bolt: This originates from the Anglo-Saxon era, meaning manor of the farm.
- Chaser: Another name coming from Anglo-Saxon times that means hunt/
- Gunner: This name means warrior and originates from Scandinavia.
- Miner: Deriving from the Celtic origin, a similar meaning to an excavator as Border Collies like to dig in the ground.
Well, these are only some popular Bordie Collie names we’ve listed; the truth is there’s many more out there. If you are looking to get a Border Collie, you’ll find that the common names will change from time to time. But most of the trending names tend to draw inspiration from a Border Collies temperament, especially after their intelligence.
Help on naming your Border Collie
If you find yourself struggling to name your Border Collie, you can always take inspiration from the world around you. Just look at your favorite books, tv series, heritage, or dogs around you.
Similarly, you will want to have an easy to pronounce name but one that does not confuse your Border Collie. This is especially the case when you want to train them. You must have a name for them that they can quickly hear and respond to.
If you’re looking to buy a Border Collie, then you’ll be fortunate to have one of the world’s best breeds. Similarly, there is an abundance of names out there to name your Border Collie. If you don’t like any of the names you see, you can always draw inspiration from the world around you.
Have we missed a unique Border Collie name off the list? Comment below and share with us.