Cherries are very popular with humans, but also with dogs. Given as a treat to please your pet, cherries are nevertheless dangerous. Cherries are considered moderate risk foods.
Why can cherries be toxic to your dog? How much to give him? What are the symptoms of cherry poisoning in dogs? We answer all these questions in this article.
The dangers of cherries for dogs
The stem and pits of cherries contain cyanide, a poison that can be life-threatening, especially if the cherries are eaten in large quantities. In addition, the pits can be large enough to cause an esophageal obstruction and choke your dog.
It is therefore important that, when you want to please your dog by giving him cherries, you don’t give him too many and you make sure to remove pits and stems.
The benefits of cherries for dogs
The nutritional composition of cherries is quite interesting for your dog. They are very low in calories and can be an excellent source of vitamins and antioxidants.
In addition, eating cherries improves sleep and helps prevent certain diseases by enhancing the immune system.
On the other hand, they contain fibre and can therefore help improve transit if offered in moderate quantities. Cherries also contain certain minerals such as iron, calcium and potassium.
However, the disadvantage is the time it takes to make them edible, by removing the stems and pits.
Symptoms of cherry poisoning in dogs
After eating a large amount of cherries, your dog may experience the following symptoms:
- Difficulty breathing;
- Dilated pupils;
- Redness of the gums;
In addition, because of the sugar they contain, cherries can cause some digestive problems, especially diarrhea, when consumed in large quantities.
How many cherries should a dog not eat?
For the well-being of your dog, it is necessary to respect certain quantities.
The amount of cherries a dog should not eat depends mainly on his size. For small dogs, you should not exceed 30 to 50 g per day. For large dogs, you should not exceed 150 g per day.
It is useful to remember that if you decide to give your dog cherries, be sure to remove the stems and pits, the poisonous parts of the fruit.
My dog has eaten cherries: what should I do?
If your dog has eaten a small amount of prepared cherries, that is, with stems and pits removed, there is no risk.
However, if he has consumed a large quantity of cherries, with all the toxic parts of the fruit, you should not wait for symptoms to appear and take your dog to the vet immediately.
As a veterinary, I am passionate about animals, their health and their daily life. My second passion is writing, so what better way to talk to you about the health of animals and especially dogs?